Re: E85 gasoline in a TR6

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: E85 gasoline in a TR6
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:01:27 -0600
Dick:

Back a few years more than I wish to remember we were researching gasoline
for sports car racing.  We had a friend and club member who worked in a
refinery test lab, and he ran tests on different fuel mixes to find a higher
octane fuel for racing.  He found that adding some alcohol raised the
octane, but as the alcohol passed a certain percentage, the octane rating
fell.

In the lab they use a single cylinder engine to determine the octane rating
similar to the test engine sold by Dresser-Waukesha Motors.
http://www.waukeshaengine.com/internet/businessunits/waukesha/pages/applicat
ions/products/fueltesting/f1f2.cfm?r=973&numPageID=378

This is an ASTM-CFR test engine. They cost about about $250,000 so if you
really need one, it may be better to build your own.  The single-cylinder
engine has a four bowl carburetor and a movable cylinder head that can vary
the compression ratio between 4:1 to 18:1 while the engine is running, and
gives octane rating readings while you monkey about.

There is a local gas station which sells 15% Ethanol here and I have never
heard of rusting problems or any other problems with it.

The octane rating of straight Ethanol is 113, however, it has less energy
per pound than gasoline, and therefore uses more volume to produce the same
power.  Thus the needs for larger jets.

Ever since Henry Ford built the 1908 Model T to run on alcohol, it has been
used as a motor fuel in various applications.  Think Indy cars.  They have
run it quite successfully.

Can I add a little bragging?

On the weekend my wife and I attended the Sukenan Ship Pioneer Village
Museum Threshing Bee harvest, 6 miles south of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  I
had a ride in a 1910 - 1912 Brush, single cylinder car, also a 1915 Model T
Touring, and a 1937 Ford Fire Engine.  They only had one British car in the
old car and truck parade, a 1950 Austin A40.  They might have a 1976 TR6
next year.

www.sukanenmuseum.ca

Ed
1976 TR6