Re: oil cooler

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil cooler
From: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:13:35 +0000
hi guys,
This is a little bit off topic for this post, but it brings up a question in
my mind that I'd love to hear some opinions on. I was discussing the spin-on
oil filter converstion with my ex-mechanic. He's only my 'ex' because he
closed up shop. Now this guy was very opinionated, but I tended to trust
him. He never did any real major work to my Six, but did replace a broken
valve spring and I probably would have trusted him to do a re-build one of
these days. I hate he closed. He was usually very busy with at least one
major restoration project active.

Anyway, he said "You don't want one of those." He went on to describe how
the original filter canistor is designed so that, under high RPMs, the
filter will back-off, letting more oil flow thru when it's really needed.
This is to say that the increased flow is more important than additional oil
cleaning at this moment. He went on to say he had seen many cars with the
spin on oil filter that had been damaged due to 'top end oil starvation'.
Now, I've seen the aftermarket oil feeds to the top of the engine, which
sort of backed up his thoughts to me.

What do you think? Was he pretty much right, or full of gunk?

Sloane :)
'69-Six