Re: oil cooler

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil cooler
From: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:45:11 +0000
To me, the most interesting point so far, is that some spin on filters do
have a pressure relief value, which accomplishes the function that my
mechanic described in the original Triumph fiilter. Maybe I wasn't the only
person on the board that didn't know this. It would be interesting for
anybody that has specific details about the original design to chime in as
to whether or not there is something unique about it's function. As many of
you guys said about using 20W50 oil, the engine was designed in the 40s. Is
there any advantage to staying with the filtering as originally designed, or
is a well designed spin-on filter just as good?

Thanks for the Google link. I surely had never considered how different
these little buggers are on the inside. I make way too many decisions solely
on price.

Oh, by the way, in my Six, I always use a filter element from TRF or Napa
(#1313 I believe). One thing I still don't understand. Somebody mentioned
the spin-on filter hangs down and/or has the anti drain valve, thus keeping
oil in the filter which supplies oil quicker on startup. If a bunch of oil
drains out of the filter when I'm changing it, doesn't this filter design
hold enough oil to provide the same function?

This is largely an opinion topic, but we all enjoy a good bunch of opinions.
(haha)

thanks,
Sloane :)
'69-Six