RE: oil cooler

To: "im sloane" <im_sloane@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oil cooler
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:10:40 -0800
        Sloane:

        I was given to understand that all oil filters do this; If the
pressure drop across the media gets too high, the filter is bypassed to
permit oil to flow. This is a standard safety feature I thought. In the
stock filter the media is sealed against the block by a spring. If the
pressure gets too high, the media lifts off the block, permitting oil to
flow directly from the inlet to the outlet.
        On canister filters, I *thought* there was a similar feature. In
addition, some filters have anti-drain back valves to keep the oil in
the block when the engine is off, permitting rapid oil circulation on
startup and reducing wear. Obviously, if you go the spin on route you
want an anti-drain back valve in the filter.

        Now you have me wondering. Hmm. Time for a little research.

        Vance