RE: [6pack] Bouncing Speedo

To: "'Bruce Moxon'" <bamxn@triad.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Bouncing Speedo
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:46:04 -0400
Bruce wrote:
My Speedo needle tends to bounce, especially at lower speeds and when down
shifting. At cruising speed, I just average the bounce to guess at my speed.
   I have a new cable, rebuilt tranny(A type OD), new angle drive to tranny,
cable routed over the top of tranny, and have swapped out three speedos with
the same results. Anything I am missing? Not critical but annoying. Any
Suggestions appreciated.

My thoughts and experience: Did you make sure that your cable does not enter
the speedometer more than 3/8 of an inch. If you just installed the new
cable as it came, then the magnets inside the speedometer are being pushed
back. To trim the cable you need to remove the inner cable and grind away at
the end that goes into your angle drive. Now be careful not to remove too
much.
How would I know that? 8-(

Do it in small amounts. Have patience and fit after each removal and
grinding. It must be inserted into the angle drive and not be able to be
turned by hand and have the 3/8" protruding. Each time check that the end
that you ground is burr free otherwise it won't insert and travel down the
outer cable or insert into the angle drive. Also make sure that there is no
dirt going into the outer sheath. Use some white lithium grease to help lube
the cable.
Let me know if it helps you. (Just so you don't feel too bad, I had to buy
three cables until I got it right.)

Robert L. Gannon
http://home.comcast.net/~trsix74/wsb/index.html