RE: [6pack] Roll bar theory - How do you mount it??

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: [6pack] Roll bar theory - How do you mount it??
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:57:24 -0400
At 8:32 AM -0700 7/31/07, Navarrette, Vance wrote:
>Why would a weak roll bar make the car more dangerous?

It's not so much the weakness that's a danger, but the position of
the bar itself. A properly constructed bar will extend above the
driver's head and be wide enough to extend beyond his shoulder. It
has been noted that a "street" bar may prevent the driver from moving
out of the way in a roll, causing more harm than good. Having been in
5 roll-overs (so far), I can tell you that there's little time to
position yourself in the car, other than to just hold on. The cages
did their job by keeping the car from deforming into the passenger
space. A street bar isn't wide enough to do that.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
Middlebury Center, PA (visit our new location!)