Re: [6pack] audio power question

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] audio power question
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:43:32 +0000
FYI and with apologies to whoever I snipped this from, I bought one of these
Bosch alternators in anticipation of installing it when I put my beloved back
together this spring.

It is a 55A unit I believe

Lee Janssen's TR6 Fiesta Alternator
Transplanting a Bosch alternator into the TR6

Like most LBC owners, I was always wondering if the battery would be charged
and watched in apprehension as the head lights dimmed as I came to a stop
sign. When I heard that I could replace my Lucas alternator with a Bosch unit
I immediately headed for my local parts store.

I originally converted to this alternator in the mid 90's. At that time Ford
Fiestas were plentiful both on the road and in the junkyard. In 2006 the
situation is significantly different; nearly all Fiestas are off the road. As
a result the alternator is a special order from all of the major part stores.
This is only a problem when your alternator breaks down in the middle of
nowhere (where all breakdowns occur).

If you are still game, request the optional high amp Bosch alternator for a
'78 to '80 Ford Fiesta with A/C & rear window defrost. The standard Fiesta
alternator is a Motorcraft so be sure to ask for the Bosch. This particular
alternator was also used in the 1976 VW Rabbit. The large brown wire attaches
to the B+ terminal on the alternator, the small brown/yellow stripe wire
attaches to the D+ terminal on the alternator and the remaining wire should be
tied back and isolated (insulated) from ground. These Bosch alternators bolt
right up and plug directly into the existing TR6 harness. The adjusting bolt
thread on the Bosch alternator is metric so be careful not to damage the
thread with an SAE bolt. Various reference numbers that have been supplied for
the Bosch are as follows: 120 489 244, D8RZ-10346-AX, AL 119X, NAPA AL86X BSH,
AutoZone 13107.

The following belt info applies to a Bosch alternator being installed into a
1974 TR6 and will probably apply to other years as well. For best results, use
a 45" belt (Kelly Springfield 17450). The stock belt which measures 44 1/2"
fits but the alternator will be located at the beginning of the adjustment
slot restricting access to the #1 plug. A 45 1/2" belt locates the alternator
near the end of the adjustment slot.