RE: Oil pressure

To: "Keith Johnson" <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>,
Subject: RE: Oil pressure
From: "Jarrid Gross" <jgross@econolite.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:28:42 -0700
Steven,

There are two other common sources of oil loss on rootes engines.

1) One is the brass coupler to the rocker shafts.  There are
supposed to be some orings that seal the shafts to the coulpler.

If they are cracked, missing or the wrong size, you will have a
significant loss in oil pressure, but worse yet is that your
rockers will not get properly lubricated.

2) The tube that is inside the timing cover, which is supposed to
dribble oil on the tensioner block, if missing, broken or otherwise
messed up, will flood the timing cover with oil, and result in a large
reduction i oil pressure.

I presume the pressure readings you wrote of were at idle.
Frankly if these pressures are at a hot idle, they are normal for
an engine that has clearances at the loose side of normal for
the rootes engine.

Whats more important is that you see 45+ PSI with the engine at 2500 RPM.

HTH
Jarrid Gross