Oil Pressure

To: alpines@autox.team.net, Bob Berghult <alpinebob@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Oil Pressure
From: Steven Graham <sjgraham@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:38:54 +1000
Hi All,Thanks for the many helpfull responses. After most of the weekend
checking the tappet oil feed, various oil pressure gauges, blowing the line
from the engine to the gauge with compressed air, removing the timing chain
cover and checking the drip feed onto the chain, I was contemplating droping
the oil pan (or sump) when I decided to check the oil units below the filter.
Bob Berghult was right, the base units had the wrong gaskets, blocking the
correct oil feed. Tomorrow I will buy new gaskets and fit them and expect the
problem will be solved. I am also having the oil pressure relief unit changed
to a variable one.

Another hint for those restoring, while I was thinking about the oil problem I
decided to fit the right side door window glass, the left one fitted a couple
of weeks ago. Hint, go to your bolt store and purchase some allen key bolts
about 1 inch long and the same thread as the origionals, you wiil find it much
easier to reattach the bottom window guide channels with the longer bolts and
allen keys when the doors are fitted to the car. Also do not forget to check
the attachment of the metal guide on the bottom of the glass, then you won't do
what I did, refitted the channels and the winder mech to the glass as per the
excellent instructions supplied with the new window guides then started to wind
the glass and it seperated from the metal channel. Bugger! remove all window
mech again and reglue the glass to the channel with a new rubber. Then go back
and find the solution to the oil problem.

Hope everyone had as successful and enjoyable weekend as I did.

regards,
Steven Graham