Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: "GPSoftware" <gpsoftware@icehouse.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 00:03:03 -0700
I can't help but to chime in one last time on this subject, since I market a
software product for timing and scoring.

I've heard a lot of talk about how a PC can't be used for accurate timing.
I've devulged a lot of details about how Accucros goes about doing this,
with theory and actual tests as proof. I can only say that those that think
a PC cannot perform this task either do not know of what they speak, or they
may have a hidden agenda to downplay the ability of a properly programmed PC
to perform the task. A PC is made up of hardware that can be told what to do
by software. Precise real-time control is done by PC's routinely. There is
no magic involved. The techniques may not be known to the average PC user,
but are not uncommon or radical to the embedded controller programmer. Could
a PC be programmed for inaccurate timing? Of course! Could stand-alone
timers be designed, assembled, or used improperly to produce inaccurate
results? Of course! I think the stand-alone timers are great and are
appropriate for many situations. However, clubs do have a choice of several
different systems and depending on their situation but compromising the
timing integrity doesn't need to be a factor.

Someone pointed out that PC's, being general purpose machines, must not be
able to perform the timing task as required for an Autocross. Certainly
every machine has it's limits, and maybe if you need 1/100,000 resolution a
PC won't do it. But we only need 1/1000, same as F1 uses and much better
that the 1/100 used by downhill skiers (this has boggled me for some time).

Gary Poole
GPSoftware
P.O. Box 421
Liberty Lake, WA 99019