Re: Harnesses

To: "William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Harnesses
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:53:39 -0700
>Eric,
>
>I'm in a different situation than you of course (convertable) but I can't
>imagine life (and the preservation of same) w/o it.  Besides, it did a
great
>deal to stiffen up the car.
>
>BTW, the original post was dealing w/ getting advice on what brand & type
>(pull up/pull down) of harness people prefer - what's yours? (thanks to
>Rocky and my own thoughts, I'm staying away from "Y" style.)
=========================
I have a 3" RJS (they make a lot of roundy-roundy dirt track stuff) harness
with pull-down straps.  In my opinion, you do want pull down on the
shoulder.  My lap belts are also pull-down but you can get by with either
style for the lap belt although the pull-up may be slightly easier to get
tighter.

What I do is scoot my seat back, tighten the lap belt as tight as I can and
then reach down and scoot the seat forward again.  That seems to get it
plenty tight for my needs.  Right now I have a "Y" type shoulder tailstrap
since I do no road racing with the car, but if I do put the roll bar in the
car I will switch to "roll bar mount" shoulder straps.

The nice thing with "real" harnesses as opposed to the "street" harnesses
like the Schroth stuff, is that you can buy replacement "sections" of the
harness.  For instance, if you put in a roll bar you can just buy the new
shoulder straps or you can even cut the long tail straps of the original "Y"
or "H" tail straps to make shorter roll-bar mounted straps.  You can also
add a "anti-submarine" (crotch) belt later as well.

You can change the buckle from the traditional
big-as-Garth-Brooks'-belt-buckle latch style to a quick-release cam-lock
style and also change from a bolt-in attachment method to a snap-in,
detachable, setup.

There's nothing wrong with the Schroth stuff for what we need it to do, but
there is "real" race stuff out there that is less compromising.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mental wounds not healing
Who and what's to blame
I'm going off the rails on a Crazy Train.
Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne