Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: GPSoftware <gpsoftware@icehouse.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 06:00:13 -0700 (PDT)
I don't market T&S products, but I do write real-time
software for cable set top boxes, so I'll put in $.02
Canadian. (Geek talk ahead--delete now if you aren't
interested--don't say I didn't warn you!  :)

I agree with Gary, there is no reason why a PC cannot
be made to record T&S with 1 ms accuracy.  The key is
to set up a piece of software called an "interrupt
service routine" so that when a signal comes in from
the timing equipment, the PC stops what it's doing,
records the event with time & date, and goes back to
its business.  DOS makes it easy to control hardware
directly; Windows doesn't because it insists on
getting its filthy paws into every ISR, and goes about
it pretty slowly.  To do this in Windows, you have to
write a more complex code called a VxD ("virtual
device driver" acronym in Redmondese).

To be assured that this *always* happens on time, the
computer's operating system has to be "deterministic,"
i.e. every task it does must have a worst case
execution time.  Some of the stuff Windows does is
unbounded in execution time (memory management being
among the worst offenders), so you write a VxD to do
time critical stuff because it runs at a higher
priority than normal applications.  With an operating
system designed for real time jobs, the norm is
*microsecond* accuracy.  PC's that do real time
control tasks like factory automation usually run an
OS specifically designed for real time operation.  T&S
isn't that tough of a job...basically any computer
that can run a sound card can run a *properly
programmed* T&S system.  It's just not as simple to
write as "hello world".  (If you work out how, it's a
good way to pay for a racing habit!)

Now, the next person who says "can't be done" shall be
bound and gagged and forced to listen to me rambling
about rate monotonic analysis!  >;-)

Craig Blome