Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: "GPSoftware" <gpsoftware@icehouse.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: "William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 00:43:16 -0700
>  much better that the 1/100 used by downhill skiers (this has boggled me
for some time).

Gary,

Finally, I may be able to give imput, rather than always asking for it!

My credentials are: 25 years racing at the international level; competed in
slalom (31st out of 65 - O.K. for a 40 yr. old [120 in ski racing years] w/
11 knee operations) at the 1998 Olympic Winter Games; etc., etc.

The timers used often DO measure to the 1/1000's, but it is felt that the
timers used cannot be consistantly accurate enough at that 1/1000's level to
be fairly used, so the 1/1000's are rounded off.

Obviously, this is not the case w/ today's improved timers.  But the rules
governing how far out in place holdings timers will record have been around
for a long time,  and 'though I've been only involved in the sport of
AutoX'ing for a few short months,  I defy anyone to show me a Governing
Body, such as the International Ski Federation (F.I.S.), that's more
entrenched and unresponsive to change and improvement!

Have I ever lost a medal by a 1/100?  No, but I did lose a Bronze medal in
the '91 Masters World Champs by .03 sec.  And just last season, there was a
tie for first at a World Cup race (the F1 Grand Prix of the sport.)

Happy to be in the relatively safe and sane sport of AutoX'ing where I can
age gracefully!

Bill Schenker
Cal Club #36
'99 csp Miata

P.S.  If anyone ever needs advice on skiing, that's one area I know at least
something about!