Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: GPSoftware <gpsoftware@icehouse.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 11:02:34 -0400
GPSoftware wrote:
> I tell people that Accucros turns you PC into an embedded controller.
> You shouldn't be trying to do any other "tasks" while running
> Accucros, after all your trying to run an event. Publishing to the web
> site (or whatever) can be done later.

For many of us, this fundamental design assumption doesn't work.  As
scoring systems advance, we want networked databases so that the
computer at registration (which is still open while the morning heats
are running) can enter afternoon registrants.  The scoring computer
reads out of that same database.

We also want the barcode scanner at tech and at the start line to write
into that same database.

I continue to believe that it is not safe to rely on the computer (if
it's running a Win32-based OS) to do timing.  A separate piece of
hardware (whether on a card or in a separate box) should do that -- even
at 0.01 second resolution, I'd say the same thing.

If I were willing to make the same design assumptions that you make, I
might change my mind.  But in my mind, the scoring software will
unfortunately have to run under Windows NT, along with the networked
database applications.

Mark