Re: kumho crack

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: kumho crack
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 11:05:49 -0400
Karl Rickert wrote:

> Normal? You've got to be kidding! No tread seperation is normal. It's a
> defect if you ask me! If you had the same problem with a set of street tires
> you'd want a replacement right! Well same here!

Cowguy chimes in:

<<<There was a note recently on team.net about someone seeing a
circumferential crack around their Kum-ho.  I don't know all the details
on this, but this past weekend at a Milwaukee SCCA event, a Kum-ho
apparently came apart along a similar line.  Along the inner sidewall if
I heard correctly, bringing the car to a halt.  (safely thankfully)
Maybe someone who has better information can fill in or correct me.
Personally, I'm buying American.  :)>>>

I wasn't the poster this time but I have had this happen to me a couple
of times and I reported it a nubmer of months ago. It is due to extreme
underinflation. Kumhos need at least 6-8 more lbs of air than BFG R1s.
Once I went from 27 lbs cold to 33 lbs cold the problem disappeared.
THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!

I am still a bit perturbed by the delamination but it hasn't happened to
me recently and I don't think it is near as serious as sidewall cracks.
It may have something to do with running full tread versus not, or
running the tire in the opposite direction it was originally intended.
(Here we go again!)

Paul Foster