RE: kumho crack

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: kumho crack
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:26:03 EDT
"Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com> wrote :

>   Early in this season, when I first got Kumho's, the Kumho technical
> center suggested that to find good minimum inflation pressures for my
> driving style and car was to start a bit high, in this case 40 rear 35 front
> on my 93 MR2

Good idea to start high and work down.

> and then look at the little arrows on the side walls right by
> the edge of the tread after a run. If the tire is not rolling to the tips of
> the arrows, then pressure can be decreased, if it is rolling past them, then
> pressure needs to be increased. They indicated that running the tires with
> sidewall rollover that goes past the tips of the arrows will cause
> scalloping of the tires and possibly other problems.

I have heard that a lot, but it does not work at all on my 911 for road
racing. With 2-3 degrees negative camber I never get close to the edge
of the tire. Pyrometer readings told me that the camber was OK and pressures
should be 32 ft 35 rear hot. Car weight was about 2200 and 225/50/15
on 7s and 8s.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S  '73 911RS Clone

my racing pages - http://www.analogman.com/911

~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects   www.analogman.com