Re: kumho crack

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, "washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: Re: kumho crack
From: "Rick Scalzo" <mitsufan@webcentrix.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:47:15 -0500
The car in question was lowered and was running the tires underinflated.
Having done the most experimenting possible with Kumho's, I have come to the
conclusion that the crack comes from underinflation and overheating.

> Karl Rickert wrote:
> >
> > Normal? You've got to be kidding! No tread seperation is normal. It's a
> > defect if you ask me! If you had the same problem with a set of street
tires
> > you'd want a replacement right! Well same here!

> > Patrick Wrote
> There was a note recently on team.net about someone seeing a
> circumferential crack around their Kum-ho.  I don't know all the details
> on this, but this past weekend at a Milwaukee SCCA event, a Kum-ho
> apparently came apart along a similar line.  Along the inner sidewall if
> I heard correctly, bringing the car to a halt.  (safely thankfully)
> Maybe someone who has better information can fill in or correct me.
> Personally, I'm buying American.  :)
>
> PLW
The car in question was lowered and was running the tires underinflated.
Having done the most experimenting possible with Kumho's, I have come to the
conclusion that the crack comes from underinflation and overheating. While
it was raining at this event, if the crack was there prior to the event (and
the spin), the tire could come apart. Not to mention that the surface at
this site is like a cheese grater.

Rick Scalzo
DS Neon