RE: Building A Nationals Winning Car (ESP)

To: "'Jeff Winchell'" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Building A Nationals Winning Car (ESP)
From: "Chan, Albert (GEP)" <Albert.Chan@gepex.ge.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:34:26 -0400
Sorry for copying all of Team.Net, but since Jeff did, so will I. I still
welcome private responses, and have enjoyed the various dialogue I've had
privately the last few days.

Hey Jeff:

I guess that you didn't see my posting (10/5/99-8:44 AM) reply to Josh Hadler.
I agreed with him, and will agree with you that selling price doesn't
accurately reflect the total investment that Schotz, Strano, etc. have in
their car. I will also still disagree with you on your blanket comment that
"ESP is a $50k class".

My posting did have the comment that our total investment in an ESP Firebird -
everything except for gas - yes that includes title, insurance payments, as
well as parts/maintenance/tires - is less than $20k. I commented that my
assessment was that a reasonable investment and logical development should
yield a trophy winning car. This $20k car was fourth at Topeka in the hands of
my co-driver/co-developer and I managed to get a trophy. I also contended in
my posting that, when we decided to go ESP two years ago, there were only two
successful "high buck" cars (Ames and Maltby). I'll add onto that comment that
I would consider labor (which we all know is significant for the
do-it-yourself folks) to be a "freebie" (labor of love and enjoyment).

Knowing what I know now, our car could be duplicated for $12k, if someone was
willing to search for used parts and enjoys doing the work themselves.

Al Chan