Re: Building A Nationals Winning Car (ESP)

To: "Chan, Albert (GEP)" <Albert.Chan@gepex.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Building A Nationals Winning Car (ESP)
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:41:31 -0700
"Chan, Albert (GEP)" wrote:

> Wanted to add my thoughts. Perhaps we're off this thread now.
>
> One option, for someone on a budget, besides Complete Custom Wheel, is to look
> at the Diamond Racing Wheels. We have a set of 16x10 Avengers as spares. While
> they are 23 pounds each (being steel), they are only $150 each.
>
> ESP, to get solidly into the trophies, is certainly not a $50k class. Dave
> Scholz's car (second at Nationals) was recently advertised for $26.5k and Sam
> Strano's car (third at Nationals) was advertised at about $10k. I know that we
> would take 40% of the $50k figure and gladly sell our car (4th and 8th at
> Nationals). Perhaps if you wanted to duplicate Eguina's car would you approach
> the $50k figure, and that would be starting with a new car.

        While I agree with you that ESP is probably not a $50k class, I would
disagree with why. Just because a car is selling for $26k, does not
mean, by any stretch, that it cost that much to develop. I'd be willing
to bet that those cars probably cost a bit more than that to get to
where they are. If that were the case, you could go out and duplicate
the Nagler/Marinus 3-time champion ASP RX-7tt for $26k. Somehow, I doubt
that car could be duplicated for that amount. And by the way, that's
what I think it's selling for right now.

        SP ain't cheap. I'd bet that Elam or Hoelscher spent a pretty penny
developing their little SP cars, and I'm sure they both started with a
mighty cheap roller.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/