RE: Building A Nationals Winning Car (ESP)

To: "'Joshua Hadler'" <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: RE: Building A Nationals Winning Car (ESP)
From: "Chan, Albert (GEP)" <Albert.Chan@gepex.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:43:47 -0400
Josh:

I would agree with you that selling price is not an indicator of the
development cost of a vehicle. I think that I can take educated guesses on
what some of the front running cars have invested, in terms of time and money.
I do know, to the exact penny, what John Tak and I have invested in our
Firebird, which John drove to a fine fourth place at Nationals. Our total
dollar investment to date, including the car, parts (both upgrades and
maintenance), dyno time, insurance, title and plates, all the tires for two
full seasons - in other words, everything other than gas, has been less than
$20k.

When we first decided to go ESP two years ago, my assessment is that other
than John Ames and Ralph Maltby, no one had a "high buck" car, but cars that
did have development time and effort invested, and that a reasonable
investment and logical development should yield a trophy winning car. To that
end, I think that we've succeeded. The next question, for us (dollar, time,
and skill-wise), is what it'll take to run with Mark Madarash.

Al Chan