Re: C4 Vette

To: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 12:32:58 -0400
Steven N. Burkett wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Paul Foster wrote:
>
> > Maybe you don't like having 15 or so cars in your class which would
> > provide good competition and a ladder to get better.
>
> I don't know about the original poster, but I would LOVE to have 15 cars
> in my class.  But if you take the Corvettes out, it'll just be me and one
> Supra guy in my region.  Whee, fun.
>
> Seriously, removing the Vette's will KILL SS in our region.  I imagine
> others are similar.

What if I can offer an alternative? How about in-class handicaps? Give
the Supra guy a second a run. Give the C4 guys .75 seconds. Or whatever,
you get the idea.

> I can understand the frustration with owning an "underdog" car.  But it's
> craziness to argue that Corvette owners are staying away from autocross in
> droves due to the unfair classing of their car.

Really? take a look at SS Nationals attendance over time and that is
exactly what you will see.

> If you do happen to have a national caliber RX-7 or C5 driver in your
> region, then yes, some Corvette owners will get tired of getting smoked
> and leave.  But the same applies to other RX-7 and C5 drivers.  Should we
> ban hot shoes from participating in regional competition because they
> limit participation?

The regional issues are different. But yes, I believe the word gets out
that car x is an underdog and people stop coming out. It has certainly
happened with most PCA and NCCC guys I know even though most will never
will go to Nationals.

> If we need to make changes, I'm all for that.  But more classes will
> undoubtably mean fewer cars in each class, and juggling cars is unlikely
> to increase participation in any meaningful way.

I'm not at all convinced how having fair competition will drive people
away. I think just the opposite is happening. Currently, if someone is
truly interested in winning then they will be buying a new car nearly
every year or two and the rest either quit or find some other place to
play. But I believe that autocrossing should be more grassroots. It
should be a venue where any car has an opportunity to do well.

Paul Foster