RE: C4 Vette

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: RE: C4 Vette
From: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:01:41 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Paul Foster wrote:

> Maybe you don't like having 15 or so cars in your class which would
> provide good competition and a ladder to get better.

I don't know about the original poster, but I would LOVE to have 15 cars
in my class.  But if you take the Corvettes out, it'll just be me and one
Supra guy in my region.  Whee, fun.

Seriously, removing the Vette's will KILL SS in our region.  I imagine
others are similar.

I can understand the frustration with owning an "underdog" car.  But it's
craziness to argue that Corvette owners are staying away from autocross in
droves due to the unfair classing of their car.

If you do happen to have a national caliber RX-7 or C5 driver in your
region, then yes, some Corvette owners will get tired of getting smoked
and leave.  But the same applies to other RX-7 and C5 drivers.  Should we
ban hot shoes from participating in regional competition because they
limit participation?

By the way, there are two Corvette drivers in my region who whip me
soundly ever event.  And there are a couple of Miata drivers who beat
their times more often than not.  In my opinion, if someone's staying away
from regional autocrosses because their car is misclassed that's their
problem, not the SCCA's.

If we need to make changes, I'm all for that.  But more classes will
undoubtably mean fewer cars in each class, and juggling cars is unlikely
to increase participation in any meaningful way.

Steven
'93 RX-7, fast
'69 driver, slow