Re: C4 Vette

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:29:05 -0700
Coming out of lurk mode before sinking back due to a massive work load:

Paul Foster wrote:

> And what job is that? To provide a venue for a select few cars but
> everybody else is at a huge disadvantage? This is total BS.

This is probably the only point we will agree on, that this is total BS.

The entire perception that the intention is to create a venue for a
select few cars is silly, as is thinking that everyone else is at a
*huge* disadvantage. What would be cool would be to have a good driver
hop in one of those hugely disadvantaged cars and show you why it's more
the driver that selects the cars than anything else. The nature of the
sport is that some car or cars will appear to be the topdog. History has
shown us that often there are other cars that can compete, but it takes
someone who knows how to set them up and drive them. One reason for the
appearance of their only being fewer top cars, is that, IMHO, there are
just not that many good drivers, and they tend to gravitate to certain
cars.

> The SCCA
> should provide fair classes for _all_ cars, particularly for sports cars
> that would turn up in very large numbers if they had a fair place to
> play, as has been proven numerous times in the past.

Which is it, ALL cars or cars that would turn up in large numbers? How
many classes would that be? In many areas, you would end up with many
undersubscribed classes. Speaking for myself, I do not enjoy winning a
class of 1 or 2 cars. I don't think I am unique.

> Or don't you want
> large turnouts at your autocrosses? Maybe you like things the way they
> are. Maybe you have a problem with 200+ people at a local autocross
> because it means you can't make 6 runs instead of 3. Maybe you don't
> like having 15 or so cars in your class which would provide good
> competition and a ladder to get better.

And maybe you are being incredibly presumptious. Perhaps someone does
not agree with you because they see things differently, instead of
leaping to your conclusions?

In a nutshell....

1. New people will be uncompetitive regardless of how their car is
classed. If that means they don't get a trophy and go home and don't
come back, they have the wrong attitude. I personally do not think this
mindset is that common. Maybe I hope it's not.

2. Many novices show up with cars that have something that knocks them
into a mod or prepared class anyways. It may make more sense to make an
exemption for them, then to change the national classing structure.

3. Creating more classes may tend to dilute the classes and we will have
more undersubscribed classes.

4. There will always be cars or models or years that are not going to be
the top car. No matter what. I suggest that 99% of the drivers
understand this and enjoy the sport in the framework.

5. The emphasis on having to win locally, IMHO, means that someone has
forgotten to enjoy the sport. It means just as much to me, to do the
best I can in whatever car I show up in. I know if I drove it well, and
that is enough. I don't expect SCCA to change NATIONAL classes for my
local issues.

6. Locally, you can create ANY classes you want. Got a lot of old RX7s
that want to play? Why not make an old RX7 class? It is easier to whine
that to make positive steps locally, but the work is worth it.

Specifically, from my experience, I have periodically invited a marquee
club to play here in San Diego. We have a load of MR2s show up. A lot of
them are modified. A lot of them are almost stock. Hardly ANY of them
are competitive. So what? They end up in AS, CS, ASP, CSP, or MOD
classes. A lot of them run in a time only class here. They are here to
have fun and enjoy the car. I don't think trophying is a big issue to
them. There is no prize money. It is comraderie and fun, as it should be
at the local level. I think this would be the same, and it does appear
to me to be the same, with the Miata club and the Corvette Club locally.
These folks like to get together and have fun.

Now, if I was being presumptious, I would think you were whining about
being beat in *your* car, and *you* want classing to somehow fix that.
But I won't be presumptious. Out.

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 (soon to be transferred to my daughter?)
'96 Honda ODD-essy
'99 Lexus RX-300 (?) to tow the:
'00 MR2-Spyder (?)