Re: C4 Vette

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:29:19 -0700

You are not understanding the point.  Corvette attendance may have gone down,
but the SCCA drivers who ran in Corvettes DID NOT go away.  Do you see how
adding a Corvette class only dilutes participation instead of increases it?

My feeling on the Regional Corvette clubs is that they don't have the skill set
to compete with SCCA level drivers.  It's not that the car is outclassed, it's
that the drivers (and this isn't so of any of the Vette drivers I know from SCCA
SS) have too large ego's to get beat more than a handful of times before they
take their ball (C4) and go home.

I don't want to further expound for fear of pissing any of my Vette friends off.
Matt Murray and Rich Fletcher can comment on the type of driver that typically
go to PCA events.  They just don't want to get crushed by SCCA level drivers in
the *same* car so they create their own playground.  Great people who drive
their cars spiritedly, but not, for the most part, hard-core autoxers.

I hope that all came out right.

AB

> PROVE to me that we will GROW the sport instead of shift participation levels
> and I would support ANY marque class.  It just won't happen.  Didn't happen
with
> karters, didn't happen with Sport Truck, and it didn't happen yet with ST.

Whether you want to believe it or not, moving the RX7 to SS decimated
the Corvette attendance. Check the numbers for yourself.

Paul Foster