Re: C4 Vette

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:36:21 -0400
Mark Sirota wrote:

> Paul Foster wrote:
> > I got your point from the other post. As I stated I'm going to cross
> > check the 45-odd Corvettes drivers who showed up at Salina in '89 and
> > see how many are still coming out to Nationals
>
> Great.  Also check to see how many of the non-Corvette Nationals
> competitors from 1989 are still coming out to Nationals.

Hey, this is turning out to be a doctoral thesis! Andy's assertion was
that attendance did not change with the change of the class. I disagree.
I think that maybe 5 of the 45 made another appearance in another car.
The other 40 did not come back. How many would have been lost due to
attrition? Dunno...

> And while we're at it, why 1989?  Why not the last year before the
> Corvette and RX7 were combined in SS (1991, maybe?  Can't remember.)

That would be great but I don't have that list. But I think I do have
the '89 list somewhere because I attended that one. Maybe Rocky would be
a better candidate for this homework assignment. But he's probably not
that interested.

The RX7TT was produced from '93 to '95 so it would have to be later. I
remember for at least the first year they were in AS.

> So given that we seem to agree on this point (gasp!), I don't
> understand what you're driving at.  You say that if there was a place
> where C4's could win, more would show -- yet not many people believe
> they can win anyway?

It seems to matter to them that it is the driver and not the car that is
responsible for the difference. It certainly seems to with Porsche
people. Most PCA people I try to talk into running with the SCCA won't
because they feel they are not fairly classed. I used to think it was
just sour grapes but now I think they have a point.

The C4 is a good example because it is a good car that was a winner in
it's class, and there are lots of diehard Corvette drivers who enjoy
coming to such events whether they personally do well or not. And that
is the same with the PCA. Parade attracts 700-800 people annually and
most drive in the autocross.

And as far as agreeing with me, don't feel too bad. It had to happen
eventually. ;-)

Paul Foster