Re: Winners and Losers

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winners and Losers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:05:22 -0500

><<<Heh, heh, well San Francisco has to suck wind behind its smaller
>NPDiv neighbor Northwest Region this year!  SF had 24 trophy winners, 3
>champions. Northwest had 25 trophy winners, six champions.>>>
>
>I'd say that is a statistical fluke. I remember one year ('88?) where
>SFR had nearly 20 _winners_ out of an attendance of perhaps 40 drivers.
>Le'ts see any other region beat that!

Naw. Northwest has been sneaking up on you since '96. This year they caught
and passed you:
           SanFrancisco        Northwest
           Champ Trophy       Champ Trophy
   1999      3     24           6     25
   1998      7     21           6     27
   1997      6     21           5     15
   1996      5     21           4     16

San Francisco has never had 20 winners (as in, 1st place). The highest was
15 and that was back in '83 when you took 38 trophies.  That was the middle
of the period when San Francisco was easily the biggest butt-kicker in Solo
II. In '88 you  had 6 firsts out of 24 trophies.

San Francisco's overpowering dominance was an '80s thing, but it certainly
had a lot to do with the greater parity that has been seen in the '90s.
Which, IMHO, may suggest that it is not necessarily the Regional program
that is producing the great drivers of today as the National program. IOW, I
may be driving DP in Kansas, but my benchmark is in Indiana (Bollinger) and
New England (Scannell) as well as in San Francisco (Wolf).

Do not misunderstand me. San Francisco has a great program. But it is not
because of its size that you have a great program. The other way around,
your size is a result, not a cause, of your quality. Likewise, your
excellence is a result of your quality, not of your size. Smaller programs
(such as New England, Northwest, in comparison to yours) also have excellent
quality and thus are producing excellent drivers.

--Rocky