RE: SWAY BARS????

To: eric10mm@qni.com
Subject: RE: SWAY BARS????
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:58:27 -0400

>>> Hmm, ST is sounding better everyday.  Except for the sucky street tire
>>> rule.

>> Run in STR.  Same as ST but without that "sucky" street tire rule.

> Or run in STU. Same as STR, but turbocharged!

>C'mon Eric, I know a guy who makes turbo kits for Neons....

>DG

> OUCH!!!  I was complaining about a $1200 set of coil-overs and now you hit
> me with a $3000 turbo kit!!  ;^)

I don't think it's that much, if memory serves. It's a little more dear than an
Iceman and a set of PIAA foglights tho.

The one I'm thinking about is done by Hahn Racecraft. I know Bill Hahn, he's a
decent guy, and had been doing Talon stuff for quite some time. The Neon turbo
kit exists because the base model DSM uses a Neon motor, and all his
nonpressurized customers demanded it. He tried the same kit on a Neon, and it
fit.

I think there's a review of it and a competing kit in this month's Turbo
magazine - or maybe it's Sport Compact Car. Or both. Whatever.

> I would like to run in a class that will at least be recognized at the 2000
> Nats though.

Well, that depends entirely on member feedback and demand. A well-subscribed STU
class could be made "official" by Nats2K if enough people asked for it.

My own suspicion is that STU will wind up as a "demonstration" class for 2K, and
a "full" class for 2K++ - and my understanding of "demo" classes is that you get
the jacket and the trophy, but you're not listed as a National Champion in the
rulebook for next year. Big deal. Close enough for me.

> Or maybe I should stay in DS since the most of the car whores are selling
their
> Neons after DCs contingency programs were pulled.

All the more reason to go to ST/STR/STU, where there's more contingency money to
be had...

Close your eyes and imagine with me for a sec Eric. Imagine your Neon putting
down well over 200HP. Imagine the sudden whooshy rush as the boost comes up.
Imagine the announcer' voice rising over the wail of your suddenly powerful
motor "...and here comes Eric Linnhoff into the feature turn, ripping up the
concrete in that awesome turbocharged Neon..." Imagine Mustang Cobra IRS owners
quaking in fear at your approach...

Nice, huh?

STU is calling you Eric. You just have to want it bad enough. :)

DG