Re: SCCA Valvoline Runoffs

To: <Mdmtrsport@aol.com>, <galligan@gulftel.com>, <HAVOCDEAN@aol.com>
Subject: Re: SCCA Valvoline Runoffs
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:06:05 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Mdmtrsport@aol.com <Mdmtrsport@aol.com>
To: galligan@gulftel.com <galligan@gulftel.com>; HAVOCDEAN@aol.com
<HAVOCDEAN@aol.com>
Cc: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>; programing@speedvision.com
<programing@speedvision.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 7:57 AM

>In a message dated 10/11/99 4:32:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>galligan@gulftel.com writes:
>
><< I never realized that in-car cameras were dependant on aircraft, i
> wonder if this is true of all in-car cameras.  >>
>
>Yes it is, generally helicopters are used to bounce signal from ground to
>satelite. I don't know the exact details, but this is how the system works
>over all.

I think the copter/blimp takes the signal from the car and sends it back to
the ground, to the trailer. Like all the other cameras around the track, all
the signals go to the trailer and the director decides what goes out over
the air. That one (perhaps more than one) is what goes to the satellite, and
then to you (not sure if it is direct to you, or by way of the Network's
home base first -- maybe either or both depending on the logistics of the
particular event).

Basically with a roaming camera that can be anywhere in a sizeable piece of
real estate, the signal receiver needs to be high enough to pick up the sent
signal no matter where it is sent from. Hence, airborne for a car-mounted
camera. The pit camera also is a roaming camera, and trailing an umbilical
wire back and forth is impractical. That's why there is a 3-man crew -- the
"talent" with the microphone, the cameraman, and the guy hooked to the
cameraman by a short umbilical whose job it is to aim his sender at a
receiver at a high tower in the infield. Since the pit camera doesn't roam
that far, they can do a totally ground-based system. They do similar with
golf tournament roving cameras (my brother carried the boom at a Dallas-area
PGA tourney).

--Rocky