Re: Mounting 5-point harness in a '99 Miata

To: William Schenker <schenker@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Mounting 5-point harness in a '99 Miata
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:02:49 -0700
William Schenker wrote:

> Some advice please,
>
> I want to mount my new 5-point harness in my '99 Miata, while still keeping
> the original belts - any tips?  I plan on using bolt end mounting brackets
> (1/2" hole w/ a slot to pass the webbing thru.) to secure the lap belts, and
> loop arounds for the shoulder harnesses.

        I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you can't run a
harness in an open top car without a GCR rollbar or cage installed in
the car. Of course, this only applies to SCCA sanctioned events (yes,
autoxes too). Otherwise, the hard top will be needed if you intend to
run harnesses. Stick the stock 3pt belt if you are going to keep the car
as-is though.

        The intent is that -if- the car goes over, you can slide sideways into
the passenger seat to avoid getting your nogin squished. And all that
stuff about the A-pillar being able to support the weight of the car
kinda rings hollow after you see what happens to a miata that actually
does go over. Not a pretty site. My next door neighbor rolled his miata
in a freeway accident and was -really- lucky that he fell to the right
into the passenger seat. The A-pillar was folded down to the door sill.
<shudder>

> I notice that on the pass. side, the left belt mounts to the body/side sill,
> but the right side attaches at the seat - is it O.K. to use this seat
> attachment?

        Not if you want it to pass a GCR spec. But, all other things being
equal (provided you have a rollbar or a hardtop) as long as the harness
is securely mounted, I think it's ok. On a personal note, I would not
want a harness mounted in such a manner. Mount it securely to the rails
or floor. But one on the seat and one on the floor? What happens if the
seat adjuster slips suddenly?

> Also, in mounting the sub strap; drill 7/16" hole through floor pan, put
> back-up plat on underside of car, attach w/ bolt (again using bolt end
> mounting bracket) and seal w/ (?)  to keep moisture out and prevent rusting?

        Sounds reasonable given that the rest of the car allows the harness.

        For what it's worth, I have a 914 with a full harness. However, the
Targa bar allows me to use a full harness. Full convertibles though,
require a roll bar.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/