RE: Swaybars

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Swaybars
From: Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:59:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Phil Osborne wrote:

> And on what basis do you share this opinion?    Have you been denied a
> particular request?

Yes, I was one of MANY lobbying for the allowance of subframe connectors.
There are cars that NEED them.  I can think of several third and fourth
generation f-bodies and some Mustangs that have torn floorpans because
they have been raced for several years without SFCs.  I don't want to
do that to my car, so I put SFCs on it.  Heck, I even bought a DIFFERENT
car and run in a totally different class, where SFCs don't even apply, but
I still strongly support the idea of having them available.

What I said is based on what I've been told about the SEB's decision.  I
participatd in the letter-writing campaign last year, or whenever it was
last, and I was told that the SEB decided against it, despite STRONG
support, because SFCs don't apply to all cars.  So rather than giving us
the ability of using them, they chose not to take action due to
convenience.  That is how _I_ see it, and how a lot of people I know see
it.

> What could the SEB possibly stand to gain by making rules based on
> what THEY want?

Less work.  Less to think about.

> I really wish folks would think before making such broad-based and baseless
> statements...

I put a lot of thought into it before making the post.  I bet there are a
lot of people who feel similarly, but won't speak up.  I will.  If I piss
somebody off in the process, so be it.  I can be diplomatic to a point,
but beyond that, all bets are off.

Somebody suggested that I apply for one of the open SEB positions.  If
it's something I can work into my schedule, I WILL.  I don't spout off at
the mouth just to hear myself talk.  If I can affect change, I will do so.

I know there are a lot of things to consider when a rule comes up for
debate, and I'm all for that.  I know the goal of the SEB is a level
playing field.  However, based on what _I_ have observed, they often do
not make such decisions.  I would like to see this swaybar rule suggestion
be sent to the SEB, because I'd like to see their reaction.  I have
serious doubts they'd allow it.

Rob