Re: Z Camber Kit Question

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Subject: Re: Z Camber Kit Question
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:06:09 -0400
At 07:45 AM 10/15/99 -0700, you wrote:

>This is neither illegal or bad for Autocrossing.  It's not illegal because
>they do not regulate alignment settings.

Well, not that anyone would ever care.  But most of the camber comes form
the bushings wearing.  And it's technically not right to on purpose run
worn bushings to gain camber.  Been a fun protest I bet.  8-)

 It's not bad because the Z already
>tends to push a lot, and a little extra negative camber will help the front
>bite a bit more (I'm running roughly -2 degrees).

But, I'm betting the kit was installed in the back.  Being the problem area
on the cars.  In which case it is bad (because they do understeer) since
now MORE rear stick has been added.

>On the street you may find excessive tirewear on the inside edge of your
>front tires.  The best solution here is to either remount the tires side to
>side, or rotate them front to back.  Or start cornering faster...  ;)

Usually from toe-out.  No-one I know has wear trouble with up to 2.5
degress (and more on a couple of Neons)

>If you put in adjustable A-Arms from Stillen (the main people who make such
>things for the Z), this would TECHNICALLY move you into SP.  However,
>especially if you are using it to dial OUT excessive negative camber, I
>really can't see anybody calling you on it at the regional level.  So if
>what you are doing right now is just having fun at regional races, don't
>worry about the rules and get the A-Arms.

Nope, nope, nope.  Those arms are NOT legal in SP, those'll get you
straight to Prepared without passing go, without collecting $200.  You can
change bushings in SP, but not control arms.  Absolute no no.

Sam Strano
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831