RE: Z Camber Kit Question

To: "'Sam Strano'" <strano@stranoparts.com>
Subject: RE: Z Camber Kit Question
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:06:09 -0700
> Well, not that anyone would ever care.  But most of the
> camber comes form
> the bushings wearing.

Not so in the Z.  Many Z cars came from the factory already on the hairy
edge of spec in the front, and then just add a little time and a little wear
and tear on the suspension and unibody and it settles out of spec.
Replacing the suspension bushings would not appreciably help this problem.

> But, I'm betting the kit was installed in the back.  Being
> the problem area
> on the cars.  In which case it is bad (because they do
> understeer) since
> now MORE rear stick has been added.

Did you read all of Alan's post?  He installed them on both the front and
rear.  Also, the front is the primary area of such problems on the late
model Z because the rear (unlike the front) is factory adjustable, so I have
only seen major problems in the rear when an accident was involved.  So
unless you are going WAY out into the negative camber area I can't see it
having a negative impact on handling.

> Usually from toe-out.  No-one I know has wear trouble with up to 2.5
> degress (and more on a couple of Neons)

Once again, no, not even close.  I'm amazed that you are arguing with me
about the idiosyncrasies of my own car.  You Team.net guys are funny people.

> Nope, nope, nope.  Those arms are NOT legal in SP, those'll get you
> straight to Prepared without passing go, without collecting
> $200.  You can
> change bushings in SP, but not control arms.  Absolute no no.

Thank you for the correction, though I still stand by my assertion that at a
regional level nobody would give a flying whoop.

-Carl Merritt
ClubZ AutoX Coordinator
(a club of over 130 1990+ 300ZXs based in the SF Bay Area)
http://www.clubz.org
http://www.binaryvista.com
SFR ASP/FSP 1990 300ZX 2+2