Re: Z Camber Kit Question

To: "'alan.chapman@wwgsolutions.com'" <alan.chapman@wwgsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: Z Camber Kit Question
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:45:58 -0700
I think people on the team.net have already answered many of your questions,
but let me put a more Z specific spin on them.

Yes, the front suspension DOES settle quite a bit, and MANY 1990+ 300ZXs end
up with too much negative camber, usually in the front but often in the rear
as well.  And as you know, the camber on the front of a '90+ 300ZX is simply
not adjustable from the factory.  No, this is not due to the previous owner
of your car taking a curb or two, or anything else being bent, it's just the
way these cars work.

This is neither illegal or bad for Autocrossing.  It's not illegal because
they do not regulate alignment settings.  It's not bad because the Z already
tends to push a lot, and a little extra negative camber will help the front
bite a bit more (I'm running roughly -2 degrees).

On the street you may find excessive tirewear on the inside edge of your
front tires.  The best solution here is to either remount the tires side to
side, or rotate them front to back.  Or start cornering faster...  ;)

If you put in adjustable A-Arms from Stillen (the main people who make such
things for the Z), this would TECHNICALLY move you into SP.  However,
especially if you are using it to dial OUT excessive negative camber, I
really can't see anybody calling you on it at the regional level.  So if
what you are doing right now is just having fun at regional races, don't
worry about the rules and get the A-Arms.

http://www.stillen.com/Stillen%20Folder/Stillen%20Docs/300zxadjustableuppera
rms.html

However, the 300ZX gets a LOT more fun in proper SP trim....can you say 275s
in all four corners?  Wohoo!  =)

-Carl Merritt
ClubZ AutoX Coordinator
http://www.clubz.org