RE: Z Camber Kit Question

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Subject: RE: Z Camber Kit Question
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:35:34 -0400
At 09:06 AM 10/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> Well, not that anyone would ever care.  But most of the
>> camber comes form
>> the bushings wearing.
>
>Not so in the Z.  Many Z cars came from the factory already on the hairy
>edge of spec in the front, and then just add a little time and a little wear
>and tear on the suspension and unibody and it settles out of spec.
>Replacing the suspension bushings would not appreciably help this problem.

And what do you think wears?  If it was springs, the car would sag some
amount.
FWIW, I also own more than a *few* Z-cars.  I'm not clueless on the subject.

>> Usually from toe-out.  No-one I know has wear trouble with up to 2.5
>> degress (and more on a couple of Neons)
>
>Once again, no, not even close.  I'm amazed that you are arguing with me
>about the idiosyncrasies of my own car.  You Team.net guys are funny people.

Really.  Hmmm, my Camaro has 1.5 camber.  My 280ZXT has 2 the whole way
'round.  EVERY Neon has a minimum of 2.  MR2's have about 2.5.  And I bet
NONE of them have much tire wear issue.  When you lower a car, the toe
changes (as does the dynamic toe change, bumps and the like).  I talk to
many, many people who want camber kits because of tire wear.  And none of
them ever really need it.  They tend not to realign the car when they
lowered it, thereby changing the toe.  And if you think about it, you see
camber, you don't see toe (which is why they blame camber).  But what's
really happening is that while running on the inside edge with 2 degrees
you get very little excess wear.  But add some toe-out (as little as a
couple 16ths) and now, you are actually dragging the inside edge down the
road.

>> Nope, nope, nope.  Those arms are NOT legal in SP, those'll get you
>> straight to Prepared without passing go, without collecting
>> $200.  You can
>> change bushings in SP, but not control arms.  Absolute no no.
>
>Thank you for the correction, though I still stand by my assertion that at a
>regional level nobody would give a flying whoop.

Don't bank on it.  Regionals are where I tend to see most of the bitching
as a trophy seems more important than driving.

Sam (I have more than a clue) Strano
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831