Re: Stock Class Wheel regs

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: Stock Class Wheel regs
From: Josh Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:20:22 -0700
Justin Hughes wrote:

> > You can fit any size DOT approved tire on the "stock sized" rims that you
> > want as long as the tread doesn't stick out past the edge of the fender
> when
> > viewed from above.  Unless it came that way from the factory.
>
> Right - I forgot about that overhang part.

Actually, there are allowances:

"No portion of the tread may extend beyond the fender opening when
viewed from the top perpendicular to the ground.  In those cases where
the original equipment is such that it does not comply with this
requirement, it is considered permissible for alternate tires to extend
beyond the fender opening when viewed from above."

This effects some cars, and doesn't effect others. I think the Fiero is
one such car that gets away with it, as the OEM tire extended beyond the
fender perimeter. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong about
the Fiero though...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/