Re: Stock Class Wheel regs

To: lollipop@ricochet.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Class Wheel regs
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:21:32 EDT
 lollipop@ricochet.net writes:

<< You're correct on the Fiero, but only with the front tires...I could go out
 front and double check our ’88. And then, with the "freedom" of
interpretation,
 just how far out? When the first Fieros were competing, the amount of "stick
 out' was basically unlimited, leading to some interesting tires. :-) >>

Leave it to Pat Kelly to get me rolling again.  :-)

Hey all you "we got to get rid of the swaybar allowance" wannabe's, if you
think the swaybar rule is stupid and outdated, how's about getting on your
"We're going to change the world" high horse and address this inane and
poorly defined wheel/tire rule stating that the tire can only stick out past
the wheelwell as viewed from the top  if it came that way Stock, while other
rules state that you can run any size tire that will fit on the rim, and can
also move the wheel out 1/4" per the offset allowance.

What part of the tire sticking out past the wheel well decides this; top or
bottom?  If the stock tire is within the fender plane at stock offset, but
outside with 1/4" offset allowance, are you now illegal and have to run tire
size smaller than stock, or do you now qualify to have tires beyond the
wheelwell?  What difference does it make that the tire sticks out past the
wheelwell as long as there is no safety issue resulting from interference
tire rubbing?  Would we take away a National Championship from somebody
because they were protested and the tire stuck out 1/16" too far.  If not,
what is the magic distance before you do get disqualified.

This is a weanie protest just waiting to happen, and sooner or later it will
and we'll be forced to deal with it once and for all.  Unfortunately somebody
will probably unjustly suffer as a result before there is enough momentum to
scratch it from the rules.

M Sipe