Re: Superspeedways

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Superspeedways
From: "rick" <94kart@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:20:44 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
To: team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 1999 10:16 AM
Subject: Superspeedways

> TwoHarvs@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > What can you say, a sad day in CART history. I commend CART, ABC and the
> > commentators on the way they handled the coverage of the tradgy.
Respectful
> > and thoughtful of the people who matter.
>
> <<<Yup.  Very thoughtful and sensitive to the situation.  Great job.>>>
>
> Except for Paul Page. He seemed to totally forget about it at the
> conclusion of the race where I swore he was even more bubbly and
> effervescent than normal. Then they cut to the pit lane where all the
> drivers were in tears...
>
> Let's put the blame where it belongs and that is squarely on the
> shoulders of the superspeedway owners. These venues are obviously unsafe
> but they continue to be built. Fontana is only a year old. It reminds me
> of Roman coliseums.
>
> My sympathies to the Moore family. What a senseless tragedy...
>
> Paul Foster

Unfortunately the car was so out of shape before it got to the wall not much
IMO would have helped.Gravel pits would not have slowed him down
significantly and may have even flipped the car high enough to go over the
wall. Tirewall likely would have shot him back across the track endangering
the other drivers.
  However other tracks around the world have done various things to slow the
cars down before they hit the barriers, Daytona for instance has increased
the amount of paved area on the apron to allow cars to scrub off more speed
before contacting the wall. A show that was on TLC  showed some track
designs that used ARMCO over foamblocks that would disipate the energy when
struck, others used sand barrels and water barrels. the question in my mind
is do we really need these cars to go 230mph to have a good race?

rick