Re: Co-Driver Arrangements

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Co-Driver Arrangements
From: "Wally Strzelec" <Wally@Tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:25:34 -0600
Another data point.  I do not have any idea what the norm is but I was told
that at large events you charge a set of tires.  To me that sounds really
high, but then depending on who is buying the tires may be really cheap.

I had some good friends co-drive my car last year and went through the
dilemma of what to charge.  The shocking part to me was that when I started
looking at my expenses, how expensive this stuff really is.  Just for tires,
I figure that on average (asphalt/concrete and 60 second runs), each run
costs me around $10 in my FS f-body.  I then needed to add gas and car wear
and tear on top of that.

What I came up with was that basically split the gas and then charge
$15/run.  I then took care of all the car maintenance such as oil changes
and getting it fixed if it breaks. This seemed agreeable to them and I felt
comfortable too.  The biggest problem was that I did not want to take
advantage of them and they felt the same and so it made it difficult to
decide what to do.

I think that if it was someone that I was not real good friends with, I
would look at adding another $5-$10/run for the extra work evolved.  In my
case it was not very much, but I can see where it could be.

-Wally