Re: Co-Driver Arrangements

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Co-Driver Arrangements
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:48:22 -0500

Ajstratton@aol.com wrote:

> Let me start this by saying, "your costs may vary widely".

No kidding. :)

> My GSX pretty much requires a clutch
> every 225-250 hard launches, or once a season.  That's a  $700 job.  Way
> beyond my DIY skills.

Heh, I did a DIY clutch job on my Talon in one of our mutual ex-codriver's
garage. That's two days of my life I'll never get back. :(

Note that a mechanically adept co-driver is worth their weight in gold. I've
never had one, but if I did, he'd be worth his weight in gold. ;)

> Or an arrive and drive deal?

I would STRONGLY recommend that nobody, especially a newbie, accept an "arrive
and drive" deal. Just because a co-driver may be contributing a bag of money
does not absolve them of working at the event. INSIST that they put as much
effort into helping you as you put into helping them - even if they're a "shoe"
and you're just a lowly rookie. In fact, ESPECIALLY if they are a "shoe" and
you're a rookie.

Another bit of advice for those considering taking on a co-driver: if it's your
car, then YOU'RE THE BOSS. YOU dictate the terms of the relationship, and YOU
have every right to terminate that relationship if you want.

That's not to say that there's no negotiation and give and take in the
relationship (there always is) but if your co-driver does something that you
don't like, then it's your right to lay down the law.

What you want, ideally, is a "team" realtionship, with you being the team owner.

DG