Fwd: Co-Driver Arrangements

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Co-Driver Arrangements
From: Ajstratton@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:14:10 EST
--part1_0.a78a4a40.256217f2_boundary

From: Ajstratton@aol.com
Full-name: Ajstratton
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:59:09 EST
Subject: Re: Co-Driver Arrangements
To: photos@pvtnetworks.net

Let me start this by saying, "your costs may vary widely".

  Major factors are the level of competition in which you are running.  it is
not impossible for two drivers to toast a set of tires at a Pro.  I my
experience, any tire surviving a Pro event may finish one or two more local
events.  Some cars have other quirks.  My GSX pretty much requires a clutch
every 225-250 hard launches, or once a season.  That's a  $700 job.  Way
beyond my DIY skills.  There's  no way I would make commitments and travel
halfway across the country with a suspect clutch.  Are you running at a local
event or do you have to deliver the vehicle?  A 2000 mile tow and a couple of
nights in a hotel add up.  Is your Co-driver a local friend at local events
and willing to split the labor?  Or an arrive and drive deal?
  Overall, you need to add up what you expect it to cost you to compete at
your level and level of commitment (Very steep curve) and split it.  Once you
make commitments and plane tickets/entries/hotels reservations etc. it's
kinda tough to tell your co-  Something came up and I won't be there.
  My personal experience is unless you have deep pockets a co-driver really
helps a serious effort,  but the efforts multiply, and frictions can
develop...  I have had both good and not so good experiences..  I owe every
bit of my modest success to my co-drivers,  Mark and Wendy and John.  I would
not have had a Pro season without any of them.

Alan Stratton
Mitsubishi GSX #40
Didn't start the revolution... finished it.(A year ago ;-)

--part1_0.a78a4a40.256217f2_boundary--