Re: Co-Driver Arrangements

To: Mike Shields <mshields@inconnect.com>, TeamDotNet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Co-Driver Arrangements
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:01:47 -0800
At 01:41 AM 11/14/99 -0700, Mike Shields wrote:
>Could any of you out there who are co-driving with someone else please
>email me and give me an idea of what you feel are equitable arrangements
>between youself and your co-driver. Either from the perspective of car
>owner or car "borrower". I'm thinking of sharing a ride with someone
>next year and wanted to get a feel for what we need to agree on.

        First of all, I wouldn't advise it unless you have some confidence in
the
other guy as a competent driver who can respect YOUR machinery (assuming
you are the owner, and he is the "renter"). I shared a Lotus formula car (mine)
for over two years with two other club members a loooong time ago. I supplied
the car, they supplied tires gas etc. We had enough confidence in each other
that when I couldn't devote full time to autocrossing, I simply let them
have the
car for the rest of the year.
        Tires are the biggest on-going expense in autocrossing, so helping out
there
is appreciated.
        As far as "something happening" everyone has to be understanding
when bad things occur. While driving two different club members Super 7s
I've experienced a blown-up clutch disc and had a complete RF wheel/brake
assembly come off and roll away. The guy whose wheel came off, in turn, drove
another members Elan into a fence. In every case the cause was a part failure
(disc, spindle, brakes, in that order). No-one got upset because it was obvious
that the drivers in these cases were not at fault. Some car owners get upset
if so much as a flat tire occurs, let alone anything major. Stay away from
partnerships with such people (most autocrossers are NOT like that).
        If something REALLY bad happens, like crunching the car,
be prepared to pay up if you are the renter and you are the one who stuffs it.
If the owner crashes I think he should have the option of calling off the
arrangement rather than be obligated to fix the car so the renter can
continue to drive