Re: Stock Category brake lines

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Category brake lines
From: Paul Czarnecki <oblique@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:54:41 -0500
>other than the brakes are less likely to fail.

from what I've been told, Stainles Steel (I'm am so tempted to put SS
brake lines) are MORE likely to fail than OEM parts.

Why?  This seems wrong at first.

The reason is that stainless steel lines are very subject to
abrasion.  Road racing teams that use generally consider them to be a
maintenance item, you replace them once a season or whatever.  The
street driver, who installed them years ago, has since driven through
all sorts of road crap etc and never thinks to check/replace them.
Even the road racers makes this mistake.  There was a big fireball of
a race car at Lime Rock a few years back.  It had stainless steel
fuel lines (for safety!) but it abrades along the undercarraige.

So, don't assume that stainless is safer.  Properly maintained it is,
but it is often not properly maintained.

pZ
--
Paul Czarnecki