Re: STS Tires - best way!!!

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tires - best way!!!
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:38:52 -0500
As one who may find himself competing in this class next year, more than
just on the local scene, my questions are:  Were there cheating problems in
STS at National Tour events, Pro Solos, and Nationals this year?  Was anyone
found using illegal tires? Or any other illegalaties?  Aren't we a self
policing organization?  Why not go with the exclusion list, and add to it if
necessary, etc.  As long as the same tire is available to everyone, and it
is not on the exclusion list, I say go with it.  The idea is to keep "R"
tires out of it right?
If someone brings a ringer tire to the game, that's the tire people
generally migrate to.  If it is
something not available to everyone, or the current list of size
availability are not met, then do as we do with R tires and disallow it.
But why not allow the class to move forward and see what happens.  I still
think there needs to be a tread limit, just as most states require for
highway legality, be it 2/32 or 3/32.  But ultimately, if real street tires
become an impossible task to police, make R tires legal for the class and
let it kill itself...

Phil O.

P.S. I too appreciate Roger's perspective and ideas on this issue...After
all, isn't he everyone's hero? 8-).