Re: STS Tires - best way!!!

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tires - best way!!!
From: "Martin, William A" <MartinWA2@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:32:38 -0800
Roger Johnson wrote:

Brian, I can absolutely, positively assure you that for STS
to be a National class, an inclusion list will NOT work....

There are 4 solutions to this problem.  And ONLY four:
- -Keep STS as a local-only class.  No National participation.
- -Switch all of the STS drivers/cars to STR. (Not good!)
- -Spec Tire.  One tire, from one manufacturer.  Done with decent
        success in Club Racing.
- -Spec Vendor....

Gotta trust me on this - if Dennis is the resident Subject Matter Expert
on ECU's, I'm gonna claim SME for tires.  Any arguments?

Roger 2

Sorry Roger,  I can't buy it.

First, I agree your doomsday scenario could happen -- you say it's happened
before; I'll trust you on that.

But you're insisting on launching a pre-emptive strike for a problem we
don't currently have, and it's only speculation that it will occur in the
future.  I really wouldn't object to a pre-emptive strike if any options
were palatable, but none of those four are.  In my opinion a broad inclusion
list is palatable, but I agree it's a less secure fix.

I think you're missing:

One -- no fix is struck in concrete.  If a gentle one doesn't work, a more
radical one can follow.

Two -- Who's ox is being gored here?  I've been running STS locally for a
little over a year.  I don't hear any wailing and teeth mashing from STS'ers
on the subject.  If we proceed into national status, and the doomsday tire
thing happens, let the STS'ers lead the fix -- They're the ones being hurt.

Also,  I don't mean to accuse you of an agenda -- I have highest respect.
But I remember when you lead the good fight to keep street tires out of
stock category with the rallying cry of " they won't work - they'll chunk -
it'll cost even more, etc".  Well, street tires are here now in STS and
somewhat to my dismay they seem to work fine.  I say dismay because I'd
rather run STR but all the competition went STS.  What I mean to say is that
often "can't be done" is cover for "I don't want it to be done".  Is it
possible there's an undercurrent that if street tires work for STS then they
might be imposed on Stock Category?

I say make STS a national class -- they met the opening bid.  Leave the tire
rules alone until you have badness data to work with.  It's not a perfect
world.  Let's have fun anyway.

  --  Bill Martin