STS...Moving Forward!

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: STS...Moving Forward!
From: Chris and Deb Shenefield <cdkshen@sunlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 07:44:32 -0500
>>How does club racing keep Spec
>>tires from having cheaters?
The same way Roger is proposing.  1 manufacturer.  Also, having a single
distributor helps everything stay honest and is a selling point for
getting sponsorship dollars for the SCCA.  Plus imagine the promotion we
could get from it if a manufacturer did promotion of some kind with
it....like Firestone Firehawk and road racing in the 80's.

>>I assume there's some way the
>>whole tire manufacture, shipping
>>to reseller, sale, and shipping to
>>customer can be controlled to
>>make sure that a "Spec" tire is a
>>true Spec tire.
Exactly.  Having the distributor adds someone else to the supply chain
with an image to uphold that will help control the funny stuff that can
happen.

 >>I'm just opposed to having
>>only one tire option since that
>>just doesn't seem to fit the STS
>>class idea.  But I'm also
>>assuming it wouldn't work
>>having multiple tires allowed as
>>Spec to form the inclusion list I
>>want.  <snip> ...but if I had to
>>buy a 2nd set of tires, I would
>>likely buy real tires and run in
>>STR.
And therein lies the completed cycle of this continuing discussion.  The
bottom line is that we cannot use an "Inclusion List".  The "single"
spec tire idea is different from running STR in only one way....that the
competitors on an STS spec tire could drive to an event or to work on
them.

- The single spec tire is easiest to control.
- Making STR a national class makes sense too....and I believe this will
eventually happen anyway with the growth of the Sport Compact Market.

Last thought!!!!!!  What about having a single spec tire, but allowing
other STS competitors not on the spec tire into the event as
non-competition entries???.....you never turn someone away, but if they
want to make a bid for trophy, they have to run the spec tire.

Anyway, what can we agree on to make something positive happen for next
year....and what do we need to do to make it happen.  Let's move forward
with something that will get us into nationals as an official class.
This class has huge promotional potential!
Is a proposal being written about STS for next year?

Chris