RE: ...woo-hoo

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ...woo-hoo
From: Tom Maycock <tmaycock@interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:47:10 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:

> > This is hardly the place for political commentary...
> ================================
> But it is somewhat related as Gore and Nader are both wanting to get rid of
> our precious cars.  Their methods are that of devious incrementalism in
> which bit by bit, little by little they take away your ability to have fun
> with cars.  First it's through emissions laws, then through "junker" laws,
> then through "gas guzzler" laws, then through outright strong-arming the
> industry to stop making hi-po cars and parts or face losing federal funds.

If you really want to keep having fun with cars (as do I), then it seems
to me that we better all be thankful for those emissions laws, increased
fuel efficiency and the like. Sure, even if we were still at 1960's
emissions/efficiency levels, you and I might still be able to go out and
play with our toys today, but what about in 10 years, or what about our
kids, and their kids? If you think some environmentalists are too anti-car
now, think what it would be like if those advances hadn't been made.

If we all want to be able to still have meaningful debates about the
minutae of car classing and rules 20, 50, 100, or 500 years down the
road, we need to think long term.

IMO, motorsports enthusiasts should be leading the fight for better mass
transit, for better alternatives to gridlock-inducing urban sprawl, and
for clean-burning, high-mileage cars. If we can reduce the amount of time
and miles and gas wasted and pollution created on those mindless,
spirit-killing daily urban commutes, the world will probably continue to
be a friendlier place for having fun with cars.

Just a thought,
Tom