Re: Course Design at meridian

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Course Design at meridian
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:36:41 -0500
Alek Tziortzis <alextz@comm.mot.com>

> I think horsepower (torque really) cars shine when you get pinched off
> and even the smallest cars (neons,miatas) have to scrub off speed, the
> torque cars really gain time in those areas. Speed maintenance courses
> (even if they have long straights) really dont favor horsepower cars.

I'm with Alex here - that Meridian course has forced me to re-evaluate what
I consider a "power course" and to re-evaluate how to drive similar
courses.

Long straights don't seem to constitute a "power course" in of themselves -
you need long straights (or maybe even not-so-long straights) coupled to
tight sections where all cars will have to slow right down to get through.

For courses like Meridian, it's not so much who hits the fastest speed on
the straights, it's who has to slow down the least for the turns.

DG