Re: New format Pro Solo 2002

To: kimfine@teletech.com
Subject: Re: New format Pro Solo 2002
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:30:35 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/01 10:21:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
kimfine@teletech.com writes:

> My point is  - if they want to mirror our sport off of others, let's use the
> eqipment they use. Yes cars have emergency brakes, but how will your
> reaction time be on the new lights reaching for the e-brake and not being

Kimberly,

I have to agree to disagree with the notion of using line locks in the Stock
class.  I have taught myself to use the handbrake just out of the necessity
of attending most Pro Solo events solo <g> and it is no big deal to do once
you get over the psychological barrier of worrying about it.  In fact, I now
prefer to use the handbrake over anyone chalking the car as I can
consistently stage shallow in a shorter period of time than someone rocking
the car in and out of the lights, which allows me more time to focus on the
clock coming down and preparing to launch.  Launching the car is simple;
simply drop the handbrake and the clutch simultaneously.  Your comment on it
causing an improper reaction time is without merit.

Allowing a line lock opens a whole can of worms in Stock and I'm confident
nobody will want to address the issue.  I've known solo cars with them that
had them malfunction and lock up during an event; you did bring a spare line
lock, didn't you?  If you want to talk about mirroring drag racing, then you
have to accept the fact that the real reason for using a line lock there is
because you once you trip the stage light you're there to stay; there's no
backing in and out.

I say No line locks, but I think it's a moot point as disallowing
hand-chalking was already tried and discarded as unworkable and highly
unpopular.  I can't see them repeating the same mistake, then again ....

Mark Sipe