Thoughts on new B-stock

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thoughts on new B-stock
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:00:27 -0500
In looking at the Pro and Tour events results so far this year, it looks to
me as if this class has been ruined by the decision to put the S2000 into BS
instead of AS.  It looks to be almost a spec S2000 class now with a Boxster
or two thrown in.

Maybe I'm just reminiscing about the good ol' days, but I remember when the
old AS class was one of the most diverse classes in Solo2.  There were
MR2T's, 944S2's, 968's, 911's, old Corvettes, and M3's, and any one of them
could contend for the trophies on a given day.  I really enjoyed competing
with that diverse mix of makes and models, so I hate to see it become
another spec class.

I thought the idea to put another class in between the previous SS and AS
classes was a good one.  I envisioned a class where "in between" cars like
the Supra Turbo, NSX, and Porsche 996 could compete against each other.  The
S2000 would fit in nicely with these cars.  The 3rd gen. RX7 and the C4
Corvette were pretty closely matched in SS (with the RX7 usually having a
slight advantage), so I think they should have both stayed in SS, even
though neither one can compete with the Z06.  A spec Z06 class seems to be
unavoidable (as long as you allow it in stock class), but I think that we
could have had an AS and BS that allowed a variety of sports cars to be
competitive.  What we now have instead are two spec Corvette classes and a
spec S2000 class.

Flame gently.

Brad Burns