Re: Historical Research

To: autox@autox.team.net, rocky@tri.net
Subject: Re: Historical Research
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:32:09 EST
In a message dated Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:03:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net> writes:

<snip>

> As for injuries, ask Risk Management. I've seen quite a number of rollos in
> my 35+ years in the game, with Erik Strelniek's broken arm at a Salina Pro
> Solo the only injury worse than scrapes or bruises. Other than that the
> worst "solo" accident at an event I'd attended was the competitor riding a
> skateboard in the paddock while carrying a glass bottle of Gatorade. Hit a
> crack, spilled, fell on the bottle, big gash in his leg, many stitches. Oh,
> and there was the fellow at Nationals one year who broke something (toe?)
> when he tripped stepping out of his motorhome in the paddock. I'd not be
> surprised that will be typical of many injury incidents you get in Solo II.
> I've always felt the paddock was potentially the more dangerous place at
> the
> event.
>
> - --Rocky

You forget about Raleigh Boreen taking a spill from a moped a couple of
years ago in Topeka.  Seems to me that broke his collarbone?  The guy
you are thinking of who tripped out of the motorhome may have been
Dwight Mitchell...  but it was his knee that blew out.  How he drove the
rest of the event is still a mystery, as the injury was pretty serious as
far as knees go.... This year I saw someone trip over the tongue of a
tow dolly, and wind up with a broken arm.  The paddock is dangerous!  ;-)

Having been around a couple of decades, I've also seen a few cars turtle,
or strike fixed objects.  It is indeed a rare occurrence.  I have never
witnessed anyone being injured, except for Doc Honda when his throttle
jammed at an early Pro some 15+ years ago.  The S600/Rotary leapt a
curb, and he wound up with a compressed vertebra.

Alan Sheidler